Zombie Makeup Tutorial
When it comes to creating a zombie costume, the singularly most important factor to get right, is the makeup. You can turn just about any charater you can think of into a zombie version with the right makeup and some stage blood.
Perhaps you have a costume left over from last Halloween that you would like to revamp? Zombie nurse, zombie school girl, zombie doctor, zombie sheriff are just a few suggestions that can take on a whole new look when you add some zombie makeup to a simple costume.
Halloween in a hurry
If you need a costume in a hurry, creating a zombie look is one of the easiest costumes to achieve. Once you have your zombie makeup in place, the rest of the costume is a sinch. Simply dig out an old t shirt, rip an old pair of jeans, zombify them with some fake blood and you have a great zombie ensemble in no time at all.
Zombify your favourite character
You can also elevate some well known characters to zombie status by following our zombie makeup guide below, or following one of the zombie makeup video tutorials we have recommended. How about a zombie Rick Grimes or Negan? Imagine if Carl had turned? How about a zombie Marilyn Monroe for a great ensemble of Hollywood glamour meets gruesomely gory? Zombie Tinkerbell might strike terror into the hearts of all the other faires, while a zombie Harry Potter might be a wizard that Hogwarts could do without!
Zombies can be sexy too
Just because you are a zombie doesn’t mean you can’t be drop dead gorgeous at the same time. Think ‘R’ from Warm Bodies; the heart throb without a heartbeat. Check out our Easy Zombie Makeup Tutorial Video below to learn how you can have a really glam look by adding some black shorts, a skimpy top and a pair of tights torn in all the right places.
Easiet zombie costume, ever
In our Costume Section we have included some preprinted zombified shirts, including one of Shaun of the Dead. In the time it takes to change your shirt and splash on some fake blood, you could have a great zombie look with minimal effort.
It’s all in the eyes
To elevate any zombie costume,simply add a pair of white contact lenses. Of course, this may not be something every undead candidate out there wants to contemplate. However, for that true zombie stare, that lifeless vacant expression, and that glare that will terrorize all the normies you meet along the way, you really can’t beat a pair of white contact lenses.
Recommended zombie makeup supplies
Add a box of tissues and you will have everything you need to start creating.
Makeup Sponges and Brushes
Barry M Eye Shadow Palette
Gray, Silver, Ivory Eye Shadow
Ben Nye Liquid Latex
Ben Nye Stage Blood
Ben Nye Scab Makeup
MAC Liquidlast Liner
Ben Nye Bruise Wheel
Sally Hansen Black Nail Varnish
10 step guide to create zombie makeup
- The first stage of creating your living undead look is to make your face appear as pale as possible. You can do so by applying your light-coloured foundation, pale non-shiny face powder or white face paint across your entire face, neck and any other areas that will be exposed by your outfit. Also make sure that you apply this foundation over your lips to make them appear suitably lifeless!
- Once you have created your deathly pale complexion you can begin to use your bruise wheel or black eye shadow to grant your face the gaunt, skeletal look that zombies wear so well. Draw a straight line under your cheekbone towards your jaw line and shade in this area using darker colors, purple and black are good for this.
- Emphasise the contours of your face in the same way by shading around your nostrils, along your nose, temples and hairline. Blend purple and black from the bruise wheel to create an overall battered and bruised look.
- You can now use black to apply similar shading in the areas above and below your eyes. highlight the contrasting areas with a light color foundation or pale, natural eyeshadow..
- If you intend to wear contact lenses it is advised you put them in at this stage before you begin to shade in around your eyes. White contacts are great to achieve a lifeless Zombie stare.
- Shade in the area underneath your eyes in a ‘V’ shape to create the sunken eyes, undead look.
- Blend red and black around your eyes and apply a thick layer of black eyeliner above and below your eyelids. This will emphasise the sunken eye look and bloodshot zombie stare.
- When you have finished blending and are happy with your bruises, it’s time to get bloody! Apply some stage blood around your lips and feel free to smear some down your chin and around your neck to complete that ravenous, ‘just had lunch’ zombie style. Be sure to pick a product that is safe to use near mouth and eyes.
- But wait, zombie makeup doesn’t stop with your face! You should also make sure that you back comb your hair and apply hair spray to finish. If you wish you can also rub some of the stage blood or water soluble red paint into your hair and add black hair spray to create the impression that you have just crawled out of a grave!
- To further accentuate this ‘crawled out of a grave’ style you can mix dark coloured foundation with moisturiser and rub it into your hands; paying close attention to your knuckles and fingernails as you do so. Finish by painting your nails with black nail varnish for a show-stopping living undead manicure.
Be your own zombie
So why not have a go at creating your very own zombie look? Check out our Halloween Makeup section for some more great ideas to create your own unique zombie self. We have included some prosthetics for those of you who want to go full on gory zombie.
Our zipper face is a great all in one kit to create an easy horror look that is sure to get you noticed. If you still haven’t decided on a costume, check out our Costume Section for some great suggestions ranging from simple pre-printed t-shirts to comprehensive guides on that include King Ezekiel, complete with Shiva, the zombie eating tiger.
More Halloween Makeup
Due to the fact that we at Zombie Pit love all things zombiefied, we have also compiled some of the best zombie wound tutorial videos currently available on the world wide living undead web. Check out our Halloween Makeup Wound Tutorial for more about that.
By using our zombie makeup tips alongside the advice of these expert YouTubers, you can skilfully design and develop your unique style of zombie wounds with which to suitably terrify all your friends and family!
Be bold. Be big. Be Zombie!
Zombie Halloween Tutorial Video
This is a great tutorial for learning how to apply a realistic zombie makeover. With a little practice, you could create this amazing look which is sure to bring maximum shock and admiration wherever you wander this Halloween.
WARM BODIES MOVIE Makeup Video Tutorial
For more inspiration catch the makeup documentary from the Warm Bodies Movie. This video takes you behind the scenes to see how makeup experts prepared Nicholas Hoult for his role as ‘R’, Rob Corddry as ‘M’ as well as the hordes of zombie support artistes.
With a few simple tools and a little practice, you can elevate any simple zombie costume to a walking/living/undead zombie that will get you noticed. For a finishing touch, zombie contact lenses are great for creating that vacant, zombie stare that will make your costume truly convincing. Check out our whole range of suggested Halloween Makeup for more ideas. We are adding items all the time.
For an easy to follow step by step guide on how to create stunning zombie wounds, visit our Zombie Wound Makeup Tutorial. Our Halloween Makeup section contains a whole range of makeup ideas to help you complete your ensemble, whatever gruesome garb you have selected this Halloween.
If you need some inspiration on completing your zombie look, check out our Halloween Costume Section for some great ideas.